Thursday, April 18, 2013

Paintball Splatter

The other night I was stuck for a quick nail art idea, when my friend suggested paint-splatter nails (he's some paintball-crazy guy).  I figured it would be quick enough, and got to work.  


The end result only lasted overnight, until I re-did them before leaving for school the next day.  Nail art fail?  Possibly.  

I didn't absolutely hate these, since I actually contemplated leaving them on, except that my right hand had WAY too much yellow paint on it, so it looked kind of... gross.  No photo; apologies.


To get this look, I started with a base of A England Jane Eyre, and waited to it to be almost completely dry.  Next, I took an old toothbrush and dipped the ends of the bristles in acrylic paint; then I pulled back the bristles with my thumb,  let go, and just kind of let the polish fling itself onto the nail.  Did that make any sense at all? 

I repeated this process with acrylic paints in nude, red, brown, yellow, and more nude.  


Now for the best part!  Make sure to topcoat before cleaning up.  Sit around and wait for that to dry, with your nails and finger still all splattered.  Once they're dry, just go wash your hands with soap and water, and scrub around your nails with a nail brush.  Ta-da, all the mess is gone!  Ah, the wonders of water-soluble acrylic paint.  Practically-cleanup-free manicures FTW. 


So do you think this is one big mess of a nail fail?  Or do you somehow manage to see the abstract art in it all?  Let me know in the comments!  :)

24 comments:

  1. Holy cow :))) This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, toothbrushes make better splatter manis than straws I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, these are so amazing! Totally Jackson Pollock. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really like it! When I first saw the picture, I thought to myself: "Those look so cool!" Perhaps you would like it better with a different colour combo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. I've done splatter nail art with a straw before, but after seeing your nails I am definitely trying an old toothbrush next time. FYI to anyone using nail polish, if you put Vaseline around the nail and wait for the top coat to dry you can then just wipe off the area around, leaving you with little to no clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! I think it looks way cool and I really like the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look! the splatters are so small I am going to have to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this look, this is the first one I have seen with such small splatter!!!! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the look of these tiny splatter, but man, i tried that toothbrush method of splattering last year and it was a huge fail. as in, no paint ever even came off the brush to hit my nail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your paint blotches are so small and intricate! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look you achieved and I think you just made a very strong case for me to get acrylic paint.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Acctually I really love it! I haven't started playing with acrylic paint yet, but I just might after this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I looooove how fine the splatter is - I think I know what I am going to do when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! All the splatter manicures I've seen before have large splats. The numerous tiny splatters on your's make it unique!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never even thought of using acrylic paint for splatter nails! I love yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You took these off after one night of wearing them? You should have wore them for so much longer than that!
    Check Vieira da Silva (Portuguese painter) on Google and then you'll understand why your nails are so awesome :) Really loved these - especially 'cause they're not really 'normal' splatter nails and look more like art to me **

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful. I love how fine the splatter is!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drrrooooolllll!!!!! Honeeeeeeyyy!!! I LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 7a replica bags philippines replica hermes bag r3a35d1d39 replica bags from turkey replica bags uk gucci replica handbags j5s57q8o74 replica bags aaa quality 9a replica bags find more q2f58t2s99 replica bags turkey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...